Student in City School District of Albany using microscope graphic link to Board of Education pages graphic link to school directory pages
box bullet


box bullet About Us
box bullet


box bullet

After-School and Extended-Day Care

box bullet

Albany A-Z

box bullet

Albany Booster Club and School PTAs

box bullet

Albany Fund for Education

box bullet


box bullet

Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR)

box bullet Art
box bullet Assurance of Discontinuance
box bullet


box bullet Bids/RFPs
box bullet Buildings and Grounds
box bullet


box bullet

Dignity for All Students Act

box bullet

Early Childhood

box bullet


box bullet ENL and Refugee Services
box bullet


box bullet Grade Configuration/Middle School Enrollment
box bullet

Grants and Program Development

box bullet

Hall of Fame

box bullet Human Resources
box bullet


box bullet


box bullet


box bullet

Parent University

box bullet

Professional Development

box bullet

Programs and Services

box bullet Pupil Personnel Services
box bullet Receivership
box bullet

Search Our Site

box bullet

Student Registration

box bullet Summer School

box bullet


box bullet

Website Accessibility

  Alternate document versions available by request: 518.475.6065


Required Documents

What you'll need to register your child for school
To register your child for school in the City School District of Albany, you will need to bring proper identification with you. You must register your child in person. Please call or visit our Central Registration Office at 75 Watervliet Ave., 475-6125. Central Registration is open Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 4 p.m.


Children and youth in temporary housing

PLEASE NOTE that children and youth in temporary housing can enroll in school without the documents normally needed to enroll. Children and youth are temporarily housed or homeless if they lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence, which includes, for example:

  • living in a shelter or,

  • sharing the home of a relative or a friend because they lost their home or were evicted.

All other students

For all other students, New York state requires that students enrolled in the district be residents of the district and of age to attend school. The following documents must be submitted to demonstrate this. You also can download this information .pdf format.


1) Documentation of birth – One of the following. Copies will not be accepted.

  • Original birth certificate

  • Original baptismal certificate

  • Passport

The following will be permitted as proof of birthday only if none of the above documents exist or can be produced

  • Official driver’s license

  • State or other government issued identification

  • School photo identification with date of birth

  • Consulate identification card

  • Hospital or health records

  • Military dependent identification card

  • Documents issued by federal, state or local agencies

  • Court orders or other court-issued documents

  • Native American tribunal documents

  • Records from non-profit international aid agencies and volunteer agencies

2) Parent/guardian photo identification


3) Proof of address (two different items required in one parent/guardian name)

  • Each must include the name and address of a parent or guardian and must be dated within 30 days prior to registration date

  • Parent or guardian must be able to produce one document from each category

Category 1*

  • Copy of a residential lease; deed; or mortgage statement

  • A notarized statement by a third-party landlord, owner, or tenant from whom the parent/guardian lease from or live with

  • Other notarized statement by a third party establishing physical presence of parent/guardian within the school district

Category 2

  • Cell phone/telephone bill (welcome letter from phone company is acceptable)

  • Utility bill (electric, gas)

  • Satellite/cable television bill or installation receipt

  • Furniture rental statement (e.g. Aaron’s, Rent-A-Center)

  • Auto insurance ID card

  • NYS driver’s license, learner’s permit, or non-driver ID

  • Payroll check (dated within the last two weeks) or income tax form

  • Social security statements

  • DSS documentation

  • State or other government issued ID

  • Documents issued by federal, state or local agencies

*Two forms of proof of address from Category 2 will be acceptable only if the parent/guardian is unable to produce a document from Category 1.


4) Official immunization record signed by physician or clinic staff


5) Evidence of custody (Custody papers in the form of a court order or stamped petition are acceptable)

  • If the student is not the biological child, documentation must be presented which proves a permanent and total transfer of custody and control has been achieved

  • Parents must be able to demonstrate they are the person in parental relation to the child, over whom they have toatal and permanent custody and control

6) Report card or transcript for all new students entering middle school and high school

graphic header for quick links


Link to Board of Ed page Link to Directory page Link to Our Schools page